Tuesday, December 3, 2019

GOD CALLED ABRAM

DATE: WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 4,2019
TOPIC: GOD CALLED ABRAM.
TEXT: GENESIS 12:1-9
KEY VERSE: “The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.” (1)

                     SUMMARY
When the world after the Babel Tower incident was dark and chaotic, God began a new history of redemption by calling one old man, Abram. It required for Abram a painful separation from his people who were idol worshiping and from his father’s household, his comfort zone. It required going to an unknown land trusting in God’s guidance alone. If he obeys, God promised him abundant blessings: to make childless Abram into a great nation, a nameless into a great man, a hopeless person
into a source of the blessing of all nations through the Messiah,
Jesus, his descendant. God is God of hope. He called 75 years old Abram to be the source of blessing for all generations of the entire world. God is mighty who can change a dead person into a blessing. He calls each of us from sin and death with the
promise of salvation and blessing too.

How did Abram respond? Abram left, as the Lord had told him. His faith was based on the word of God and not on his
calculation. God also promised to give him the land, Canaan where Canaanites were already living in. Yet Abram thanked God, building an altar wherever he went and called God’s name
many times. He took his fatherless cousin, Lot with him too.
               APPLICATION
The account and the testimony of the life of father Abraham will forever remain a source of great encouragement, strengthening and challenge to me. He had no human to learn the life of faith from, yet he followed God so wonderfully well that God himself called him his friend. What a wonderful testimony.
How did Abraham achieve this? It was by trusting in God, his words and promises which was proclaimed to him even in his old years and state of hopelessness. God was indeed faithful to his promises. He made Abraham into the father of many nations just as he promised, Isaiah 51: 1 - 2
Therefore, as a seed of Abraham and co- heir with him in the promise of life in God through Christ Jesus my King, I must live all the days of my life trusting not in my wisdom, intelligence, ideology or philosophy, but in the living word of God for I know with all assurance and certainly that he is forever faithful to his promises. All I need to do as a proof of my willingness and readiness to obey him is to separate myself unto him completely. Completely cut off from the world, all that is in it and anything that is not in accordance with his word, doing nothing in all areas of my life without his command and instruction. Living under his government alone for he gave up his life for my ransom so that I will no longer live for myself, but for him who loved me so much, died for me and was raised for my living.
PRAYER: Lord, thank you for calling such a worthless and useless sinner like me for your redemptive history. Let me follow your word giving thanks in all my pilgrimage in Jesus Almighty name, amen.
FURTHER READING: ISAIAH 51: 1 - 23.

ONE WORD: I WILL MAKE YOU INTO A GREAT NATION.
Enoch